About our Repair Fairs
Repair Fairs are twice-per-term events sponsored by the student group Waste Watchers, a joint group of Campus Recycling and the Student Sustainability Initiative. In the 2013-14 academic year, we anticipate offering Repair Fairs in October (24th at 6-8 pm), November (20th at 5:30-7:30 pm), January, February, April and May. Details vary each time, so read below for information about our upcoming fairs.
November 2013 Repair Fair
Wednesday November 20, 5:30-7:30 pm
OSU Recycling Warehouse (Property Services Building)
644 SW 13th Street
Bring your broken items and questions; volunteers will help you learn how to repair your things (see list below for what’s on offer this month)! Save money, save natural resources.
- Appliances (small items only, please)
- Clothing (hand and machine sewing)
- Computers (hardware and software)
- Electronics (small items only, please)
- Housewares (furniture, ceramics, lamps, etc.)
- And more!
Come by anytime in the scheduled time frame to see a ~5 minute repair demo!
- 5:45 to 6:15 pm: Recycle your Cycle: Change Out Your Tube - Do you know what to do if you get a flat tire on your bicycle? Drop by the Bicycle repair station to see how to change out a bicycle tube, as well as what disposal options you have for your old tube(s). (Leader: Jake Kane, Transportation Projects Coordinator for the Student Sustainability Initiative)
- 6:15 to 6:45 pm: The Basics of Vacuum Maintenance - Household vacuum cleaners come in all shapes and sizes but they work in the same simple way; to function properly they need regular maintenance and cleaning. Stop by the Household repair station for a short demo on basic vacuum maintenance. (Leader: Kyle Knight, Waste Reduction Projects Coordinator for the Student Sustainability Initiative)
- 6:45 to 7:15 pm: Those Darned Socks: Fixing Holes - Many times, socks, jackets, and sweaters are working great, until you wear through the toe, elbow, or snag them on something. Darning is a method of fixing holes using only thread, rather than sewing a patch on. Drop by the Clothing repair station to see how it’s done. (Leader: Amanda Abbott, volunteer with the Waste Watchers)
Note: We don’t have spare parts, but will do our best to repair what we can and/or refer you to where you could find the parts you need. If you have parts already, we may be able to help you install them.
Directions: Enter through the warehouse gates on 13th St., between the railroad tracks and A Ave. See a map of the entrance and parking here. View our building on Google Maps here. Enter through the warehouse gate on 13th Street, between A Ave. and the railroad tracks.
Join this event on Facebook.
For questions, accommodation requests, or to volunteer, please contact Andrea Norris via email or at 541-737-5398.
Future Repair Fairs
As stated above, we plan to offer additional Repair Fairs in January, February, April and May. Event details will be posted here as they become available, as well as on our calendar and Facebook event listings.