Much of the solid waste generated at OSU is recyclable and should be placed in proper receptacles. This includes specific Containers, Cardboard, Special Recyclables, and all Paper.
Even with a waste reduction focus, particularly reuse and recycling, there will always be some items that must be sent to the landfill as trash.
Exterior dumpsters are serviced by Campus Recycling on a weekly basis. Pick-up times vary; please view the schedule to see when a building is serviced.
Note: Trash containers inside of buildings are handled by Facilities Services.
Service fees may apply.
Not Accepted in the Trash
Along with recyclable items, there are other materials that can not be placed in the trash. This includes:
Any property owned by the university; departments must go through Surplus Property to dispose of any OSU owned property and equipment.
Material that is considered hazardous by Coffun Butte Landfil or Environmental Health and Safety. Contact EHS for proper disposal. Examples include:
- Fluorescent or HID tubes
- Any Flammable, corrosive, or reactive wastes
- Free liquid (more than 25 gallons per load)
- Whole tires
- Electrical switches containing arsenic, barium, cadmium, chromium, lead, mercury, selenium, or silver
- All medical, biological, pathological, pharmaceutical wastes and sharps
- Petroleum contaminated material including soil, asphalt, concrete, and wood waste
- Toxic wastes (by TCLP test)
- Used motor oil
- Large metal-jacketed appliances
- Electrical transformers, ballasts capacitors, or pumps containing PCB liquids
- Enclosed containers that have not been triple-rinsed, crushed, or cut open
- Asbestos (without prior approval and appointment)
Questions about irregular or unusual items? Please contact us.